Ola Cohn house

41-43 Gipps Street, East Melbourne 3002

“Ola Cohn was the first Australian sculptor to carve large commissions free-hand in stone. She created the statue for the Pioneer Women’s Memorial Garden in Adelaide, South Australia, and carved the famous Fairies’ Tree in Melbourne’s Fitzroy Gardens. Examples of Ola Cohn’s work in bronze, stone and wood are in state and provincial galleries nationwide. On 1 January 1965, Cohn was appointed a Member of the British Empire for her work in the service of art, especially sculpture. Her studio home in Gipps St, East Melbourne, is now known as the Ola Cohn Memorial Centre.”1

“The Ola Cohn House was constructed in 1888 as livery stables but was converted in 1937 to a studio and residence for the sculptor Ola Cohn. “2

Victorian Heritage Database 2

Australian Women’s Register  1

Australian Dictionary of Biography

NGV sculpture collection

Wikipedia