Cordner Oval, Fawkner Park, South Yarra 3141
Between 1941 and 1947, the area now known as Cordner Oval contained huts used as the Barracks for the Australian Women’s Army Service.
“The Australian Women’s Army Service (AWAS) was established on 13 August 1941, to release men from certain military duties for service with fighting units. The Service recruited women between the ages of 18 and 45 and they served in a variety of roles including clerks, typists, cooks and drivers. In 1945 a contingent was sent to Lae and a small group went to Holland. In June 1947, owing to the end of World War II, the AWAS was disbanded.”